The mission of the Scenic City Certification Program is to support and recognize Texas municipalities that implement high-quality scenic standards for public roadways and public spaces. The Scenic City Certification Program provides a proven, highly-regarded tool to Texas cities for assessment, evaluation and recognition of infrastructure standards. Any Texas city may apply to the Scenic City Certification Program for an objective, points based review of existing municipal infrastructure ordinances. Every application receives a score sheet evaluation; cities that score at the upper level and demonstrate a landscaping/tree planting program, on-premise sign regulations and prohibition of new billboards may earn Certified Scenic City designation.
Benefits of participation include:
- provides expert third-party evaluation of existing standards
- facilitates internal review and analysis of development plans
- serves as a platform to educate citizens on the impact of local regulations
- fosters community character and civic pride
- enhances economic development efforts