Why Apply for Scenic City Certification?
The Scenic City Certification Program is not a “beauty contest.” The application does not ask municipalities to submit pictures, because, frankly, any city can hire a good photographer to take attractive photos of a city’s distinctive features. Instead, Scenic City distinction demonstrates local government responsibility, since it is the result of your local government’s decisions regarding the development and growth of your community. Having in place the network of ordinances, regulations, and programs that earn Scenic City certification:
- raises property values
- attracts new business
- makes your city more appealing to tourists
- enhances economic development efforts
- educates citizens about the importance and impact of local decision-making
- shapes your city as a destination center for travelers and meeting planners
- improves quality of life for residents
- positions your city to serve as a model for emerging scenic cities
Certification itself earns:
- exclusive access to Scenic City logos for use on city website, print materials
- media releases re: certification issued to local and regional newspapers, radio, TV, statewide periodicals
- Scenic City emblem to post within city limits
- recognition at a meeting or special event in your city
Many cities use the Scenic City program as a benchmark to identify the strengths and weaknesses in their ordinances. To score higher, some cities adopt new or re-written ordinances before applying. We hope every city will use the program as an evaluation tool.